Mar 26, 2007

Free software and Me

Linux is the fastest growing operating system in the world. The kernel of the Linux was developed by LINUS BENEDICT TORVALDS a finnish student. He was made it as his academic project. Its as UNIX like operating system also a predominant example of Freesoftware. It is now considered as the most secured and widely used Server Operating System.

I am not an expert in Linux System Administration. I had installed linux in my home PC on 2002. My friend Jayesh (Now working with Accenture Software Services) installed it for me. It was Redhat Linux 7.2. Since that day I have been using it for Browsing.

From 2002 I had interacted with Linux. I was working with Open software solutions ICS ltd as a supporting staff. On the part of my job I had installed more than 200 linux installations and a very little bit knowledge on networking. I had left the company on October 2005.

I had joined Spectrum softtech solutions Ltd, Keralas leading ISP. This company give me opportunity to interact with Linux servers. This company have more than 30 Linux servers. 18 of them are Qmail server for their collocation customers. 5 of them are exclusive Apache web servers. Others multipurpose linux servers including Relay server, trouble ticketing server etc. I am very much thankful to AnuBhaskar (Now working with Accenture Software Services) and LeenoJose (Now working with Ditro advanced Technologies) who taught me the basics of Linux administration. With the help of these masters I had installed my first Mail server and send an email to my friend sabeesh with a subject line of Sub:I did it.from the id bipin@bipin.com. From these masters I am trying to watch this ocean. I had completed 8 months in this company. In this short interval I had installed 5 Qmail servers, 8 Apache web servers, 1 Trouble ticketing system (OTRS).

2 Mail server migration. Etc. Apart from this I had managed the above said 30 servers for the customers. I had resigned from this company on November 2006.

I joined Ditro Advanced Technologies as Linux Administrator for their overseas client Ran Internet SL, a Spanish ISP. In this company I had met a number of challenging events, like a mail server which running on SENDMAIL/CYRUS/LDAP. Interesting thing is all these servers are running on independent machines. The motive is to share the load of each servers.

No comments: